CENTER FOR ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESEARCH, SKOPJE
FIRST INTERNATIONAL SUMMER ARCHEOLOGICAL SCHOOL
«THE ANCIENT PAEONIAN KINGDOM
IN THE REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA»
- Sveti Nikole, Ovchepole,
Mechkuevci: Glavica tumuli; Nemanjica: Gradishte tumuli
- Duration: Four courses (sessions), from 04 June to 27 July 2018
- Participants, maximum 18: either volunteers or students in archaeology, minimum age 18
- Head: prof. Dr. Viktor Lilchikj Adams
- Co-supervisors: prof. Prof. Dr. Dragi Mitrevski, prof Dr. Marjan Jovanov, prof. Dr. Antonio Jakimovski
The school will be a study of the central region of the ancient ancient kingdom of Paeonia, the region of Ovchepole, where the main Paeonian city was in the early antiquity.
The focus will be on the ancient Paeonian cities and necropolises near the villages Mechkuevci, Nemanjica, Knezje and Orel.
This year 2018, we will explore Paeonian burial tumuli near Mechkuevci and Nemanjica, as well as Bilazora, the capital of Paeonia.
In doing so, the participants will be able to actively participate in the discovery of cultural horizons on two Paeonian tumuli from the early antiquity as well as from the acropolis of the city of Bilazora.
The course contents are devoted to: field and office study of the ancient Paeonian civilization. This means that they will get to know the Paeonian cities: Bylazora, Astibo, Audarist, Antigonea, Astraion, Stenae, Idomenae, Gortinia, Dober, Zapara, Kelenidin, Armonia and others, through personal autopsy or through lectures by the most renowned professionals, university professors who they explored all these places.
We expect significant results, both through the educational aspect and the scientific and research context, thus affirming the stated civilizational and cultural contents in the local community of the cities of Sveti Nikole and Ovche Pole, in the Republic of Macedonia and in the World.
COURSE 1: 04.-09. June 2018
COURSE 2: 11.-16. June 2018
COURSE 3: 18.-23. June 2018
COURSE 4: 25.-30. June 2018
COURSE 5: 02.-07. July 2018
COURSE 6: 09.-14. July 2018
COURSE 7: 16.-21. July 2018
COURSE 8: 23.-28. July 2018
- Study excursions:
1) Gradiste village Knezje, the ancient city of Bilazora (Prof. Dr. Dragi Mitrevski)
1 The defensive wall of the Acropolis of Bilazora
2 Sacred cistern
3 City Street
4 Rulers’ palace
5 Bilazora’s Defensive Wall, Lower City.
2) ancient city of Stobi (Prof. Dr. Antonio Jakimovski)
1 Defensive Stobi Stobi
2 Ancient theater
3 The Temple of Artemis
4 Object with arches
5 Late Antique residences
6 Early Christian basilicas
3) Vinichko Kale, Vinica, ancient paeonian city (Prof. Dr. Antonio Jakimovski)
1 The city’s defensive wall
2 The Paeonian temple of the acropolis
3 Late Antique basilica
4 Facilities and cistern
5 Museum Terracotta Vinica
4) Audaristus, the site Gradishte, village of Drenovo, ancient paeonian city (Prof. Dr. Viktor Lilchikj Adams)
2 The ancient temple of Dionysus
4 Antiquities in the village church of St. Mother of God, Drenovo
5) Antigoneia ancient paeonian/macedonian city the site of Gradisthe, Negotino; (Goran Sanev MA (archaeol))
1 Antigonean defensive front
2 Objects in the city
3 Museum of the city of Negotino
6) Astibus paeonian city; (Mitko Shterjov MA (archaeol))
The Acropolis of Astibo at Isar, Stip
Lower Town, Star Konak, Stip
Museum of the city of Stip
City of Bargala
7) Veleshko Kale, ancient castle; Almana (Gradishte, Kocilari) ancient paeonian town; Gurbita (Gradiste, Zgropolci) ancient paeonian town (Dr. Anita Vasilkovska Midoska, Prof. Dr. Viktor Lilchikj Adams)
8) Stena (Markova Kula, Koreshnica), Idomene (Isar, Marvinci village) and Astraion (Tsarevi Kuli, Strumica) (Prof. Dr. Viktor Lilcic Adams, Prof. Dr. Antonio Jakimovski, Zoran Rujak, MA)
1 Strategic base of Markova Kula, Koreshnica
2 Idomene paeonian city acropolis
3 Idomene, a Roman castle with a temple of Commode
4 Astraion ancient paeonian city (Tsarevi Kuli, Strumica)
- Recommended literature:
– Hammond N.G.L., A History of Macedonia. Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III, Oxford
– Lilchikj Adams V., Macedonian Region of StrategiaPaeonia, Macedonian Heritage no. 38-39, Skopje 2011, 3-71.
– Merker I. L., The ancient Kingdom of Paeonia, Balkan Studies, vol. 6, Thessaloniki 1965, 35-54.
– Mitrevski D., Ancient Bylazora the Capital of the Independent Paeonians, St. Nicholas 2016, 1-75.
– Pavlovska E., The Coins of Paeonia from the Numismatic Collection of the NBRM, Skopje 2008, 1-104.
– Papazoglu F., Les villes de Macedoine a l’epoque Romaine, Bulletin de CorrespondanceHellenique, Suplement XVI Paris 1988, 12. La Peonie Orientale: la vallee de l’Axios, 309-328.
– Petrova E., – Paeonia in the IInd and East millennia BC, Skopje 1999, 1-255.
– Svoronos J. N., L’Hellenisme primitive de la Macedoine, studied par la numismatique et l’or du Pangee, Chicago 1979 (reprint), pp. 1-28.
Certificate of completion of a summer school with competences for field research on ancient sites